Injury in public

Public injury compensation

If you have sustained an injury in a public place and it was due to someone else's negligence, you may have a right to claim compensation for your injuries and loss of earnings.

Senior couple buying fresh fruit at the market

No Win No Fee compensation

Slater and Gordon is one of Britain's foremost legal compensation claim firms for injuries sustained in a public place. Talk to us now on freephone 0330 041 5869 or contact us online to speak to one of our legal experts.

Find out more about No Win No Fee public injury claims

Contact us

Injury in public

What sort of public injuries could I claim for?

There are literally thousands of accidents in public places that lead to personal injury compensation claims being made every year. Some are just that: accidents that no-one is to blame for. However, where negligence has occurred, you may be able to claim compensation for injuries, rehabilitation and loss of earnings. These claims include:

Young woman wearing sunglasses sat on a bus

Who was to blame for my injury that happened in a public place?

Some accidents in public places are no-one else's fault. For instance, if you are not looking where you are going and fall down a kerb. However, if that accident could have been avoided by the land or business owner ensuring the area was safe - from a shop to a car park to an airport - you may be entitled to claim compensation for your injury.

What is Public Liability Insurance?

If you trip on a faulty pavement, the local council will usually be responsible, whereas if you are in a public building, the owner will generally be liable. That's why most councils, landowners and even dog owners carry Public Liability Insurance.

This is an essential insurance policy, which ensures that money is available to pay for financial compensation and any necessary rehabilitation or medical expenses that arise from slips, trips or falls caused by negligence on the policyholder's land or premises.

How do I make a public injury compensation claim?

In the first instance, it's important to make sure you can prove that your injury was caused by someone else's negligence. You should take photos of the location the incident took place, making sure that you capture the direct cause of your accident, such as an uneven paving stone for example.

You should also try to get the contact details of any witnesses, as well as photographs of your injuries, and details of any medical treatment you received.

If you are in a public building, you should also try to find out who owns it, and if you were bitten by a dog, the same applies. Once you have gathered all of this evidence, it's time to discuss the possibility of making a No Win No Fee compensation claim with a specialist public injury claims solicitor.

Start your public injury claim

How much will my public injury claim be worth?

There is no set rule for how much compensation you might receive for a public injury. This all depends on the extent of your injuries and how long it is expected that a full recovery will take. However, in addition to damages for pain and suffering, you may also be able to claim for any loss of earnings as well as for the cost of any medical treatment or rehabilitation that may be required.

How long do I have to make a public injury claim?

The law generally sets a time limit of three years from the date of an accident in which to start a claim, though longer may be allowed if you are claiming on behalf of a child or someone with mental impairment.

How long does a public injury compensation claim take?

This usually depends on how serious your injuries are as well as whether the negligent party's insurers accept liability. However, we always aim to pursue justice for our clients as efficiently as possible, and will also seek to claim interim payments where your injury might cause you financial hardship, or where you need to begin rehabilitation as soon as possible.

Speak to a public injury solicitor

Slater and Gordon will provide a sympathetic, professional and honest approach to people who come to us with public injuries.

When you've suffered an injury in public, you need experts you can talk to and trust. Contact our solicitors about making a public injury compensation claim on 0330 041 5869 or online here.

Meet the personal injury experts

Meet our specialist personal injury team, many of which are considered 'Leaders in their field' with a significant amount of expertise.

Search our website
Sorry, we have no results to show
Please try a different search term.
Oops, something went wrong
Please try typing in your search again.
Back to top